Yields: approx. 8 generous servings
Easy as Pie Crust
1/2 cup raw unsalted almonds
1/2 cup walnuts
1/4 cup coconut oil
9 medjool dates, peeled and pitted
1 tsp cinnamon
Scant teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 325
1. In a small bowl, cover dates in water. They only need to soak 5-10 minutes, this just allows the skin to easily peel off.
2. While dates are soaking, combine almonds and walnuts in food processor and pulse until uniform in size, but not pureed.
3. Peel skin off of dates and remove the pit.
Add dates, cinnamon, salt, and coconut oil to food processor. Pulse until well blended.
4. In a standard pie plate (I actually used a 9 1/2 inch deep dish Pyrex plate) press dough evenly.
5. Bake at 325 for 15-20 minutes, or until hardened to the touch and slightly browned.
2 cups raw unsalted cashews, soaked 5-8 hours (overnight is best)
1/3 cup coconut oil
2 tsp nutritional yeast
1/2 tbsp vanilla
1/3 cup 100% maple syrup
1/3 cup raw honey*
Juice of 1 lemon
1/8 tsp salt
*to make this filling vegan, merely double the maple syrup in the place of honey
1. Cover cashews with water and soak uncovered for at least 5 hours. (Overnight does the trick.)
2. In your food processor, combine all ingredients and process until creamy. Depending on your processor speed, this may take a while (and some patience). Continue to scrape the sides and persevere–the texture is important!
3. Pour filling into crust, and, if you’re feeling festive, decorate with strawberries and blueberries. This filling pairs MAGNIFICENTLY with strawberries.
4. Refrigerate and serve cold.