Chocolate Cherry Hearts
Yields about 10-12 hearts
In this chewy morsel, dried cherries combined with raw cacao powder make for a dark and terribly romantically flavored guilt-free treat.
Dates naturally sweeten this raw treat, providing antioxidants and fiber, while the raw nuts throw in some healthy fats and proteins. Raw cacao also give us a bit of protein, magnesium, and iron. A treat? Absolutely. But we're sneaking some good stuff in there, too.
16 medjool dates, skinned and pitted
½ cup walnuts
½ cup raw almonds
1 cup dried, unsweetened cherries (approx. 6 oz)
Heaping ¼ cup raw unsweetened cacao
1. Soak dates in water for approximately 5 minutes (or while completing the following step). Skin and pit by hand.
2. In a food processor or high powered blender, combine walnuts, almonds, and cacao powder. Process until well blended and nuts are broken down to uniform size, but not pureed.
3. Add dried cherries and dates to food processor. Process until well blended.
4. Transfer to a bowl and, using a pastry blender or fork, ensure that dough is well blended.
5. Using your hands form the dough into a large ball. Either press the ball out into a 1/2” thick round and use a heart shaped cookie cutter to get uniform hearts, or make hearts using your hands, much like molding play dough (the hearts should be about 2" square).
6. Serve right away or store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.