Cupid's Thumbprint Cookies
Yields 6 cookies
These cookies are gluten, dairy, and refined sugar free. (And you can totally eat the batter if you want--because who doesn't love raw cookie dough?)
Also... they're incredibly easy. Never baked before? This is a great place to start. Almost as easy as slice and bake. Almost.
Cashews provide a slightly sweet and buttery flavor (as well as dietary fiber and super ratio of healthy fats), rolled oats for some whole grains, natural sweetness from local unpasteurized honey, and using unsweetened dried strawberries in lieu of jam reduces hidden sugars.
My mouth is watering as I type and remember savoring the flavors. If you're lookin' to grab the attention of your heart's desire, whip up some of these cookies, and Cupid will work his magic.
2/3 cup raw unsalted cashews
1/3 cup organic rolled oats
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp raw, unpasteurized honey
1/4 cup unsweetened, dried strawberries, soaked overnight in 2 tbsp water
Prep Night or Day Before Baking: In a small bowl, soak your strawberries in 2 tbsp water overnight. (Pour water over dried strawberries and leave uncovered)
1. Preheat oven to 325.
2. In your food processor, combine salt, cashews, and oats and process until they resemble sand/flour.
3. Add vanilla and honey. Process until well incorporated.
4. Roll dough into 6 equal sized balls and place on a baking sheet. Press your thumb or the back of a spoon into the center of the cookie, flattening them slightly and making a well to add your strawberries later.
5. Place in the oven and bake for about 10 minutes, or until the cookies are slightly golden on the bottom.
6. Pour re-hydrated strawberries along with soaking water into your food processor. Pulse until you have a puree (will resemble a strawberry jam).
7. Remove cookies from the oven and spoon strawberry puree into your thumbprint wells. (If the wells have closed up a bit, feel free to re-press with your thumb to make the hole a bit bigger.)
8. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until the cookies have become nicely golden on top.
9. Share them with loved ones, and they'll taste even better!