Yields: 4 servings
My favorite brunch food? Eggs Benedict. Hollandaise sauce is just all kinds of delicious, and Eggs Benedict provide a perfect excuse to experience that heavenly garnish.
In case ya missed it, I whipped up a vegan Hollandaise a while back that's, if you don't mind my saying so, spot on, and I was inspired to create a little twist on a traditional Eggs Benedict.
In lieu of English muffins, we've got baked sweet potatoes, quinoa and lentils instead of ham, a bed of greens, a poached egg, and, of course, Hollandaise.
4 baked sweet potatoes
1/2 cup green lentils
1/2 cup quinoa (dry)
8-10 baby bella mushrooms, chopped
8 cups kale
1/2 small yellow onion, chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp coconut oil
4 eggs, poached
Green onion for garnish
1 batch of Butter Free Hollandaise Sauce
- Preheat oven to 350. Pierce your sweet potatoes with a fork a few times around the perimeter and place them on a baking tray. Bake for 40-60 minutes, or until juices begin to run and a fork is easily inserted through the skin.
- Place 1/2 cup lentils in 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on low heat 15-20 minutes, or until water is absorbed and lentils are softened.
- Place 1/2 cup qunion in 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on low heat 15-20 minutes or until water is absorbed and quinoa is fluffy.
- In a large saute pan, heat 1 tbsp coconut oil. Add onion over medium high heat and saute until slightly translucent. Add mushrooms and saute another 2 minutes. Reduce to low heat and add kale and garlic to your pan. Wilt kale down until it becomes a lovely bright green. Add desired salt. (I usually do a couple twirls of my sea salt grinder.)
- Poach your eggs. (Need instructions?)
- On your plate, lay down your bed of greens and mushrooms first. Place your sweet potato on top, and split him in half lengthwise to make room for your stuffings.
- Scoop in some quinoa, some lentils, and then gently place your perfect poached egg.
- Drizzle Hollandaise on top and garnish with green onion.