Southern Style Cornbread
Want to make your own version of Honey Crumble Cornbread in your kitchen?
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup raw organic honey
3/4 cup dairy free milk
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup gluten free flour (I recommend King Arthur’s or Bob’s Red Mill)
7.5 oz sweet corn (1/2 a 15 oz can)
1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Rub a thin layer of coconut oil on the base and sides of an 8″ pan.
- In a small bowl, combine dairy free milk and apple cider vinegar. Let sit for 5ish minutes. This will simulate buttermilk.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients including “buttermilk”, saving a few corn kernels. Stir with a whisk until well blended (a little chunky is good).
- Sprinkle the corn kernels you saved evenly on the bottom of the pan, and pour cornbread batter over the top.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve it up as a side with my veggie chili, or maybe some red beans and rice!