Honey Crumble Corn"dog" Muffins
Yields: 10 Muffins
When I think "corndog", images of checkered table cloths, three legged races, and sweaty summer days run through my mind! I actually never much liked corndogs growing up, but I sure did love the IDEA of corndogs. And I still do. I think it has more to do with the checkered table cloths, three legged races, and memories of summer than anything else. So here we have a dogless corndog. It's not on a stick and it's not fried, but it still tastes like summer!
Hot "Dog" Ingredients
1 can cannellini beans
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1/4 yellow onion
1 garlic clove
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1 tsp xanthan gum
1 tbsp Tamari
1 tsp honey
2 tbsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp ground mustard
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cardamon
1/2 tsp cumin
Honey Mustard Ingredients
1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked
2 tsp ground mustard
1/8 tsp cayenne
1/8 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp raw unpasteurized apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp honey
Approx. 1/2 cup water
salt and pepper to taste
Honey Mustard Directions
- Cover cashews with water and soak uncovered for 8 hours. Drain and rinse.
- Add all ingredients (save the water) to a high speed blender or food processor. Add water slowly as you process to ensure you do not add too much. Puree until smooth. (Depending on your food processor speed, this may take a while to get the desired, smooth texture, so stay strong! Continue scraping the sides of your bowl.)
- Add as much water as needed to get the desired "mustard" consistency.
Hot "Dog" Directions
- Combine all ingredients in high speed blender or food processor until smooth.
- Roll into small, 1 1/2" diameter balls (depending on the size of your muffin tin, scale your hot dogs to fit).
- Wrap each ball individually in aluminum foil and steam for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool and place in the refrigerator overnight (you can skip this step, if needed, but the dogs hold together better if they're refrigerated overnight).
Constructing Your Corndog Muffins
1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease your muffin tin with coconut oil.
2. Cover the bottom of each well with cornbread batter.
3. Place a hot dog in each well.
4. Top with cornbread batter, covering the hot dog well.
5. Bake for 25-35 minutes until beginning to golden slightly. Allow to cool and remove from your tin.
Top your muffin with honey mustard and serve it up with another taste of summer, macaroni salad: