Sweet Potato Pancakes
These pancakes are very light in sweetness and texture and make for a great twist on the standard brunch (or dinner) dish. Serve these up with some seasonal greens like kale or Brussels sprouts, top with satsuma cream sauce, cashew cream, or maple syrup, and call it a meal.
Makes Approx. 12 6" Pancakes
1 1/4 cup sweet potato (approx. 2 sweet potatoes)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup almond milk
2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flaxseed and 6 tbsp water)
2 tbsp avocado or coconut oil
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp 100% maple syrup
2 cups gluten free all purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 375 and roast sweet potatoes for 45 minutes to an hour. You will be able to easily insert a fork into the potato when it is done, and the skin will easily peel off. Once roasted, cut the potato in half and remove the meat.
- In a food processor or high speed blender, puree the sweet potato until very smooth.
- In a small bowl, make your flax eggs. Combine 2 tbsp ground flaxseed with 6 tbsp water and stir gently. Allow to thicken while combine the rest of your wet ingredients in a large bowl.
- Combine wet ingredients: water, almond milk, coconut/avocado oil, apple cider vinegar, vanilla extract, and maple syrup. Add in sweet potato and flax eggs. Stir until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients: flour, salt, baking soda, nutmeg, and ginger.
- Pour dry ingredients into wet and fold batter gently until well incorporated.
- Lightly coat a griddle with coconut or avocado oil and preheat to 350.
- Using a 1/2 cup measure, ladle batter onto your griddle, allowing space to flip when ready. (Staggering your cakes will help.) Batter will begin to cook slowly, forming small bubbles on the top. You'll know the cake is ready to flip when the bubbles stop filling in once they pop, leaving small "volcanoes".
- Flip the pancakes and cook the reverse side for about one minute. You can always check by flipping it over again.
- Cook all pancakes and serve warm, however you desire.