Thai Louisiana Pnoodles
Saturday morning found me weaving between shoppers and farm stands, perusing the brightly colored produce offered by our local farmers.
I had $60 in Farmers Market Money (wooden chips that can be used to purchase produce) jingling in my pocket and a task at hand: create a dish using produce from the market to demonstrate as part of the community offerings at the Main Street Market (in collaboration with the Red Stick Market).
Feeling like I'm on an episode of Chopped, I snatched up red potatoes, purple podded yard long beans, okra and green onions from Fekete Farm; fresh eggs and basil from Danny and Regina at Our Family Farm; pecans and more okra (burgundy this time—I couldn't resist!) from Plantation Pecan; an array of oils and spices from Red Stick Spice Company; and finally, Cultured Guru's vegan (and CRAZY GOOD) kimchi from Our Daily Bread.
Thai Louisiana Pnoodles with Basil Pesto
Yields 2 Servings
Wok Stir Fry
2 tbsp high heat oil (ghee, avocado, pecan, or coconut)
4 cups spiralized potato (approximately two large red potatoes)
1/2 cup sliced okra (approximately 2-3 large okra)
1/2 cup chopped purple podded long beans (cut into 2” pieces)
2 tbsp green onion, chopped (approximately one bunch)
One egg per serving*
sea salt to taste
coriander to taste (approx 1/8 tsp)
Optional red pepper flakes
Pecan Basil Pesto - you will have extra!
1/2 cup pecans
1 cup basil
1 tbsp lemon juice (approximately 1/2 of 1 lemon)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 garlic clove
1/4 tsp sea salt
Cultured Guru Kimchi (if you can get it! If not, any kimchi of your choosing!)
*Optional: One fried egg per serving, or scramble and mix into wok stir-fry
- Wash and dry potatoes. Spiralize em.
- Prepare your pesto: place the pecans in your food processor or blender, and pulse until broken down and even in size. Add remaining ingredients and process until well incorporated.
- Prepare the stir fry:
- Heat oil over high heat until smoking. Add okra and cook 2-4 minutes, until they begin to brown.
- Turn the heat down to medium-high and add the long beans, stirring continually as they both cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add spiralized potato and sauté until reduced in size and softened (approximately another 4 minutes).
- Add green onion and optional scrambled egg, stirring continually, or
- In a separate pan, fry your eggs until desired yolk consistency is achieved.
- Plate your bowl: Place the stir-fry in your bowl, topping with the optional egg if you did not scramble it in, 1/4 cup kimchi, and a generous portion of pesto (around 2 tbsp)